Tuesday, September 6, 2011

[FREE] Spirited Away (2001)

Now that I’m back to blogging, I’m going to blog something I spent my summer rather than getting a job or working on college applications: watching movies! Rather reviewing a typical recent movie from the big screen, Spirited Away will be on the spotlight of my blog for this week.

Hayao Miyazaki’s Spirited Away (2001) tells the story of Chihiro, a sullen ten-year-old girl who, in the process of moving to a new neighborhood, becomes trapped in an alternate reality that is inhabited by spirits and monsters. After her parents are transformed into pigs by the witch Yubaba, Chihiro takes a job working in Yubaba's bathhouse in order to find a way to free herself and her parents and escape back to the human world. Here's the full summary from  Wikipedia

This heartwarming tale reminded of me as a child, where I would either imagine or dream myself in another world, whether it could be an adventure or in my ideal place of comfort. This film also set in a view when a child faces a change in their life, such as moving to a different city, going to a different school, and meeting new friends. In the beginning, Chihiro was brooding over the moving and dislikes change, but after this adventure, she learns that no matter where she is, her friends are always with her and overcoming the new change will be just another step in growing up. I also like how there’s a light romance between Chihiro and the male protagonist, Haku. Like most of Miyazaki’s films, there’s no happy ending that involves the two of them. Even so, I strongly encourage to watch this film, whether young or old!

No comments:

Post a Comment