Wednesday, September 14, 2011

[BC] Draft (of Horror)

      Throughout my childhood, I constantly earned praises from my mother for every little accomplishment, from reading a difficult chapter book to award certificates from good behavior in school. Her warm smile and joyful eyes were always worthwhile whenever I worked hard on accomplishing my goal. Although I knew that I would need to work harder after elementary school, I wasn’t fully aware that one day, my efforts were not enough to lose her smile.
      At the beginning of middle school, her praises were still frequent, but she continuously warned not the “let down my guard” and work harder. When I received my first failing grade on a test, my mother and I had a conversation and she suddenly recalled how difficult her life back in her home country, Vietnam. As she tells her tale of her perseverance in effort to take care of her siblings and getting an education, she motivated me to work harder. She was my role model, no matter how unsuccessful the life she now lives, as she continues to work in a business she knew wouldn’t earned a lot of money, living with my father who doesn’t take part of any household duties other than working and picking me up from the day care.
      My mother’s characteristics were part of my goal, my future. She was a role model to her younger siblings, despite how little success she gained over the past twenty years. She sacrificed her education in effort to take care of me, took up a job she knew that the money that was earned will be towards the bills, but made effort to save up for my college funds. She also was independent; never did she asked anyone for help in paperwork unless necessary or asked her family or friends for money. She never stray her path to a life under the influence of alcohol or drugs. The scars on her arms, the strain on her muscles, and the bags under her eyes are all what remain for the rest of her life. However, after all these years, she still maintains her warm smile whenever she praises me.
        As I was growing up, I became involved with school clubs that motivated me to more active community services and interacted with other teachers for career advice. I immersed myself with volunteer work by tutoring elementary kids in order to improve my efforts to become a role model for my younger brother. I sacrificed my effort in getting a summer job in order to take care of my brother while my parents work. I endured one of my most emotional moments of my life that could’ve changed my life: losing my mother.
        Whatever it may be for her future, I want to continue her efforts. I want to improve both my and her lifestyles and give her something she deserved to have after all these years. I may gave a career that is different from what she wanted me to have, or a lifestyle she may disapprove at first, but I know she’ll be proud of my efforts. Although my goals aren’t fully determined, but I want to live my life knowing that I can do anything on my own.

5 comments:

  1. mwhaah i did a response post relating to this.
    and what happened to your mum? o.O

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, noticed it =_= And now I did yours, so HA! It's personal. Wait, you read the whole thing? o_o

    ReplyDelete
  3. A quick comment...(Now that I can post here! Heh, heh.)

    This essay is too much about your MOM, and not enough about YOU. Your admiration of her is touching and I'm not suggesting you change the entire topic, but the balance is way off. Can you focus more on stories that show how you have taken your mom's influence and applied it in your own life and experiences?

    ReplyDelete