Thursday, October 13, 2011

[RE] EatReal

       I decided to do a response post to Nathan’s post since I’m recently doing something similar to his account of the event.
To add some community service hours to my resume and to help out people, i decided to participate in the EatReal fest in Jack London. It is always likes these little activities that leads to fun memorable times...Us four worked a greuling 7 hours with minimal break but it was a fun experience. In addition to having a nice time, the staff gave us a schwag bag with random coupons and miscellaneous things, drinks, and chipotle burritos. I guess this is one of example of good intention leads to good things.
This activity reminds me of the Day of the Dead event at Oakland Museum last year. I and 3 other members got to help out set up arts and crafts activities for kids. Although it was a grueling 9 hours of working and I minimal break, I did get to explore the other events, talked to some of my old friends who were also helping out, and managed to sneak in the PIXAR exhibit. I didn’t get as much miscellaneous things as Nathan had, but I did received a bright pink shirt. Although it seems like people thought I was an employee or something and was mistaken as one of the people in charge of the buses. Actually, I do have quite a number or volunteer shirts and it seems like I’m starting a collection, but it’s the memories that matters and the fun I got to experience instead of staying at home.  

Like other people who are aiming for the same idea as Nathan, I’m also doing a community service event. There’s another community service I’m doing is called Reading Partners program, which is a program where you get to do a one on one session with one or two students and helping them improve their reading skills. Not only does this offer you community service hours, but this is great on resumes and it does help the community by helping to improve kids of the future generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment