Thursday, October 20, 2011

[CE] Ladybug Luck

As I was browsing through the articles, I noticed titled "A cute beetle withstaying power”. I thought it’s pretty strange so I decided to make a post. 


Sixteen-year-old Kylie Copenhagen, of Pleasanton, is an exception. Her project -- a little board game about bugs -- just earned her a nomination for a national award for toy and game design.


As I read this article I thought “Maybe I can get a nomination for a national award for toy and game design as well if I can find anything that I kept”. Unfortunately, that’s not going to happen. Although I did save some of my work when I was a child, I had nothing involved with creating games nor anything based on bugs except help raise a caterpillar into a butterfly.

Impressed by the game's popularity with Kylie's friends, her father, Dan, contacted college buddy Randy Horn, president of the independent game company Zobmondo Entertainment.
Horn liked the concept, and developed the final product, swapping ideas with Kylie until The Ladybug Game hit stores in 2004. Today it retails for $11.95 and has sold close to 1 million copies, including Toys R Us, Walmart, Kmart, Barnes and Noble and Target.



I guess with some creativity and some connections, you may get a chance to be awarded in the future. Personally, I kept a reasonable amount of projects and assignments when I was child, but I highly doubt any of them will give me any future benefits. Or perhaps my African mask my 7th grade teacher kept. I don’t think I can get it back now. 
 

Even so, at least she has some sort of money resource to be able to fund her college education. Not all of us can think of some creative game when we’re kids and somehow earn 1 million dollars. I would say luck, creativity, and connections have definitely brought someone’s college life to a success. 

Despite the popularity of The Ladybug Game, there are no new game designs on the horizon for her, said Kylie, who plans to use proceeds from the game to fund her college education.



Personally, I’m jealous and impressed that a 10 year old game project turns out to bring benefits for someone around my age group. This shows some promise to our generation as we move onto an age of debt.

No comments:

Post a Comment