Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Catching Fire pt. 1 and 2

    Catching Fire, written by Suzanne Collins continues the trilogy of Katniss Everdeen, a young teenager who just survived from the annual event: the Hunger Games. However, it seems like her actions from saving her and a fellow District 12 tribute, Peeta Mellark, from the previous book, The Hunger Games, spark some rebellion among the other districts against the Capitol...
    So far, from what I read, is just basically like the first book, Katniss's daily life in her home district, District 12, with some new changes such as how she doesn't see much of her hunting partner and best friend, Gale, and her new home with her mother and younger sister, Prim. I also noticed how much did Collins wrote a lot about the events from the first book. I honestly think there was a bit too much. I do understand for those who haven't read the first book, but still, there were some unnecessary amounts of previous events into the second book. I have a feeling the second book is mainly going to cover the first book mixing in with the new events. I'm actually surprised with Katniss's indecisive actions towards the threat coming from President Snow about Gale. This shows a strong bond between Katniss and Gale. I mean, she needs to declare her love towards Peeta instead the other way around to save Gale's life and possibly, his family's lives as well. Even though both Gale and Katniss's physical appearances are very similar that they could consider to be brother/sister or relative, they show a strong  bond towards each other. In some way, it seems like they are siblings, but they don't have much of those emotions, but more like so close, there might be a future relationship among them, if there wasn't the fact that Katniss has to publicly love Peeta for the Capitol. So here's my question: Do you think there is a future love relationship between Katniss and Gale, or the 'fake' relationship between Katniss and Peeta becoming real?

From the second part of the Catching Fire,  
I honestly can't believe that those handful of berries resulting the spark of a future rebellion against the Capitol. I mean, the rebellion could have acted up a lot sooner than now, but I guess it's aprt of the plot. And if there was a rebellion going one, not much a plot is going on and not much of a book to read either. As for the future relationship between Katniss and Gale, there is still a chance for one, but for some reason, I don't think there might be. As for her 'star crossed lover', I don't see much of a development between them, other than the fact that Katniss rely on Peeta during those nightmares she gets. I honestly hope the relationship will not go further than that, but I highly doubt it, probably because the author might just created Gale as an older brother model rather than Katniss's love interest.  I think the author is just using Gale as a love triangle formation between him, Katniss, and Peeta, to "spice up" the romance, adding more problems for our dear main character. I also love the fact that the author decided to have some of the new characters introduced themselves by teasing Katniss. It's pretty amusing and it shows her other side, being more feminine than she already is. At the beginning, being "innocent" doesn't exactly add up to her and her tomboyish side, up until some minor teasing. I can understand how Katniss right now is facing: going through another Hunger Game even though she is suppose to be done with, competing against other victors, who are could possibly be more experienced in killing than her, displaying her 'affections' towards Peeta because of their engagement, and the very thought of a rebellion caused by her berries adds up a lot of different emotions mixing up tremendously. I still can't believe the game still hasn't started! Maybe the game doesn't end by the time I finish reading the rest of the novel....

No comments:

Post a Comment