Sunday, March 14, 2010

Italian Desserts

I feel like talking about food again, but this time, it's going to be desserts. Yum! So, this dessert topic will be: famous Italian desserts.

One of them I'm writing about is tiramisu, which I think its delicious (maybe its because of the fragrant coffee flavor) and you find it anywhere, for me, it's at Tomatina! Anyways, tiramisu is an Italian dessert consisting of layers of sponge cake or soaked with coffee and brandy or liqueur layered with mascarpone cheese and topped with grated chocolate.  It can also be made of savoiardi (otherwise known as lady finger biscuits) dipped in espresso or strong coffee or rum, layered with a whipped mixture of egg yolks, mascarpone cheese, sugar, and topped with cocoa.The recipe has been adapted into cakes, puddings, and other varieties of dessert.This famous dessert may have originated in Siena where it was first made for the benefit of Duke Cosimo de Medici.

 Have you ever tasted fruitcake? Surprisingly, if you ate or heard of it, there's another name for it: panettone and it is orginated in Italy. For those who never heard of it or haven't tried it before, it is a cake made with chopped candied fruit and/or dried fruit, nuts, and spices. They are often served in celebration of weddings and Christmas. Also, the phrase is used metaphorically in two ways: To describe one of weak or frail characteristics that do not uphold the expectations of others; and to describe one as "off one's rocker" or as one who has "lost one's marbles".

Another common dessert, ice cream, has another name or version called gelato. Gelato is an Italian variant of ice cream made from milk and sugar, combined with other flavorings. The ingredients are super-cooled while stirring to break up ice crystals as they form. Milk, cream, various sugars, flavoring including fruit and nut purees are usually the main ingredients.
I haven't tried it before but heard of a famous dessert called cannoli. Cannoli is a dessert that consists of deep fried pasta shells filled with a sweet ricotta cheese mixture. Candied fruit and chocolate pieces can be mixed with the filling and the ends are dipped in chopped pistachios. The Cannoli is the most famous of the Sicilian desserts and can be found in virtually every Italian pasticceria. At one time Cannoli were a gift given amongst friends during Carnevale, but have since gained worldwide recognition and numerous delicious variations.

Not much is known but it is a pretty famous dessert: Torta di Pere. The Torta di Pere is consists of ladyfingers brushed with pear syrup, sliced poached pears, mascarpone cheese & sweet marsala, and topped with toasted sliced almonds.

Overall, I have tried most of these desserts. The ones I haven't are one I have heard about is quite famous, just not around my area, but I bet it is elsewhere. I highly recommend to try these desserts and maybe comment me about them? I bet there are other famous Italian desserts, but the ones I listed are what I hear or ate before are the ones in my opinion. Just don't take my words for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment