Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The Lightning Thief pt.3

Continuing from the previous lit circle of The Lightning Thief...Once again, wow. I am absolutely in love with the series. I also love how Riordan shows how the gods' personality would be like such as Zeus's arrogance, Poseidon's patience, Ares's boldness. It definitely shows how the gods also have human emotions, yet still have their superiority over the mortals. I didn't include this, but during a sidetrack quest from Ares, it's amusing how it included the relationship between Ares, Aphrodite, and Hephaestus.  I really like how there were more than just the "Big Three" gods that were the main gods. I see that adding another god that suddenly shows up buying the three journeyers cheeseburgers and fries at some restaurant gives it an amusing scene to imagine. Other than that, from the third section of the book (sadly) concludes this novel. It tells the remainder of the main quest and the conclusion of the situation between Percy's father, Zeus and Hades (turns out he was also included in this problem). Despite of the prophecy given to Percy, it wasn't exactly finished. Even though it was said that Percy will succeeded the quest, there was the other half to be the fulfill and that would be the one who started, the lightning thief, which they revealed himself/herself after the quest was over, and it ends up with Percy's decision on whether or not he continues to stays at Camp Halfblood or goes home and returns back to the camp during the summer. I'm grateful that Riordan included a prophecy because if not, the novel could've stop right there and now. My thoughts now after I finished the book are: to watch the movie and compare and wait for the second novel. I think my group will probably regret reading this awesome book. They might've been just like me: way too excited on waiting to read the next book and watching the movie.
    As for my quote, I have chosen this (with great difficulty).
"You have no faith," Echidna told me. "You do not ... trust the gods. I cannot blame you, little coward. Better you die now. Thegods are faithless. The poison is in your heart."

You bring up a good point, Echidna. One of the biggest things that Percy has to learn over the course of his quest is faith: faith in himself and faith in the gods. And, boy, does he do a good job of learning this. How does faith work? Can you just say you are going to believe in the gods and then believe in them? How does Percy gain faith in himself and in the gods?


No comments:

Post a Comment