Sunday, October 25, 2009

Queen's Own Fool p.1


Well lately I have been talking about foods and movies, so I shall continue the topic about: books! So lately, I have been assigned a book report where I can choose the book, only it has to be either historical fiction or nonfiction. As I was skulking around the library, I stumbled across this book called Queen’s Own Fool. Your first reaction would be something like “what do you mean by fool?” or “would this relate to a queen being a fool?” right? If not, you don’t much of an impression by just reading the title. Then, underneath the title, it had “A novel of Mary Queen of Scots”. ‘Maybe it might be about Mary Tudor’, I thought. Not. Here’s some insight on “who” is Mary Queen of Scots before I start talking about the novel.




Mary, Queen of Scots was one of the most fascinating and controversial monarchs of 16th century Europe. At one time, she claimed the crowns of four nations - Scotland, France, England and Ireland. Her physical beauty and kind heart were acknowledged even by her enemies. Yet she lacked the political skills to rule successfully in Scotland. Her second marriage was unpopular and ended in murder and scandal; her third was even less popular and ended in forced abdication in favor of her infant son. She fled to England in 1568, hoping for the help of her cousin, Elizabeth I. Her presence was dangerous for the English queen, who feared Catholic plotting on Mary's behalf. The two queens never met and Mary remained imprisoned for the next nineteen years. She was executed in 1587, only forty-four years old. By orders of the English government, all of her possessions were burned. In 1603, upon Elizabeth's death, Mary's son became king of England as James I.


The novel is in the main character’s point of view. Mary, Queen of Scots? Nope. It will be in her French fool, La Jardiniere’s point of view. In the court records, the only known information on her was that:
1.) She is a female
2.) She was given several expensive dresses and linen handkerchiefs
3.) Received a large payment when she was sent home to France when the queen went off to England


I am only half way of the book and am very lazy in the summary of this novel unless I am completely done with the novel. So in the next post, I will explain this amazing novel of the childhood of this little fool and of how Mary was like as she becomes the Queen of Scotland.

No comments:

Post a Comment